Frequently Asked Questions
Table of contents
- Rankings Explained
- NFT Collections Listings
- About Farmers Market
Note: Rankings should not be taken as financial advice. Consider these rankings as fun trivia about a collection as opposed to a recommendation to acquire (or not acquire) a particular NFT.
What are rankings?
See this Medium article from rarity.tools for a great explanation of rarity and different ways of calculating it. Farmers Market displays different types of rankings for each project, namely:
- Creator defined rankings
- Rankings based on metadata traits (not necessairly related to rarity)
- Statistical rarity
- Rarity Score
- Combination of above
How are rankings calculated?
Although rarity is an objective measure (based on either theoretical or empirical trait probabilities), there will always be subjectivity in how it’s calculated. For example, should mutually exclusive traits be combined? Should traits that don’t affect the visual representation of the NFT be included? Should all traits be weighted equally or should more visible ones be weighted more? If so, how much more?
General heuristics for ranking calculations done by Farmers Market include:
- Only clearly visible traits are considered.
Example: The hieroglyphs that add a faint marking to some Chia Friends is not included in ranking calculations.
- All traits are weighted equally.
- Some metadata may be manually “fixed” if it didn’t affect the visuals
Example: Grouping trait values “unknownRPM” and “unknowRPM” together since the resulting visual is identical.
- Traits may be grouped if they are mutually exclusive
Example: If an NFT cannot have both a “helmet” and a “hair” trait, this may be grouped into one trait.
- The ranking should be roughly reproducible given reasonable assumptions above, and including any unique properties of the collection (e.g. unique hand designed NFTs added outside of the random generation process).
If a creator has supplied a ranking list, that will be used and indicated as such.
Will rankings change over time?
Yes but unlikely. Rankings are primarily based on the collection metadata which cannot change over time. However rankings may be updated as new information comes to light, like if it is discovered that some NFTs were uniquely designed or if there was a mistake or improvement identified in the trait probability calculations in applying the heuristics above.
Additional types of rankings may be added in the future.
Are rare NFTs worth more?
Not necessarily. Rarity (or rankings) is not the same as desirability although there may be correlation. For example in the Hardi Bois collection, some traits like a epwt fractal background and antlers may be popular in the community, so an NFT containing both of these can be highly desirable though the combinations of individual traits are not particularly rare.
Another example is an NFT with 5 uncommon traits could be mathematically rarer than an NFT with 4 common traits and 1 super rare trait and thus have a higher rarity rank. If that super rare trait is highly visible in the image and desirable in the community, the lower rank NFT could command a higher value on secondary markets.
At the end of the day, art is subjective. So I'd say just get what you like.
Will you publish a desirability ranking?
Maybe one day. As more sales data becomes available over time I plan on doing analyses on larger projects to dissect which traits are the most popular and maybe even look at a predictive model for NFT and trait value.
NFT Collections Listings
How do I get listed on Farmers Market?
General preferences for projects to be listed (exceptions can be made):
- Projects have probability-based traits.
- Metadata is provided or can be easily fetched (e.g. 1.json, 2.json etc.)
- Project is fully minted (all NFTs have NFT IDs on-chain)
- No offensive or inappropriate materials.
- Not infringing on existing copyrights and/or properties.
- Indicate any special (unique) NFTs in the collection.
Can I provide my own ranking? Can I request changes to the ranking?
Yes you can provide rankings and it will be indicated that rankings were provided by creator. If not, rankings can be computed for you and exceptions can be made for certain NFTs such as those that are hand designed / hard coded or carry some sort of special provenance. Please provide this information with your request.
In general, rankings should be reproducible given the complete metadata and general heuristics described for each project. In the future, different versions of rankings may be included for each project as well.
Is there a cost to getting listed? Can I get listed faster?
There is no cost. Listing order is first come first serve, though exceptions can be made if there is a lot of community demand.
How long will it take to be listed?
Depends on the queue (see below) and how much time I have. No guarantees though I aim to list things as quickly as possible.
What projects are in the queue?
Not necessarily listed in order.
Chia Friends Space Marmots Chia Whales Hardi Bois Space RatZ Gen 1 Chia Reapers WadePanda Chia Ghosts NANDy Crew Space Alien 777 Chia Flags City Illusions Brave Seedling ChiChiverse Chreatures Okra Folk Powerful Pickles The 300: The Mighty Marmot Massacre The 300: Spartal Pixels Quirky Giraffes ChiaFarmers Fools Gold Space Time Cats MOAR: Cyberpunk Valentine: Cosmic Love Chia Slimes FF Art AIncient Gems The 300: The Persian Horde Farmers of the Marmot Kingdom Marmot Kingdom - First Edition Monkeyzoo Moon howlers Incredible stars Chamster Dragon Lords: Cyberpunk Stixch Chia Leaf Stellars of Belheren Chia Punks Steam Gents TinyTardigradesClub Chia Mounts Freaky Poodles Freckle Girls BattleKats Singleton Souls Fantastic Seedlings City Renderer AI Bots Chia Alien Chia Plots Balldogg Antidogg Mojo Hippies SpaceRatz Gen 2
- Chianek (waiting on creator)
- Chia Bulls (waiting on creator)
- Chia Skullz (waiting on creator)
- seedsn.app (need new feature to support ongoing mints)
- Fiendish Imps (waiting on creator)
- Space Ghost (waiting on creator)
- Timelords (waiting on creator)
- Chia Monks (waiting on creator)
- Chia Ox (waiting on creator)
- Egg Head (waiting on creator)
- Bored Whales
- Makers Mead Bottle
About Farmers Market
Upcoming site features
Not necessarily listed in order. If you have ideas to make this site more usable, reach out to me @ChiaLinksCom on Twitter.
More intelligent sorting (ignoring blanks, dates tec.) Add dexie outgoing links Use lowest sale price instead of latest sale price (for NFTs with duplicate offers) Have completed sales data be real-time instead of updated daily Add more # of page options (500, 1000) Used SpaceScan.io cached and verified images for improved loading times Refactor to make site scalable and faster to onboard more collections Add legend for rank colors Add information about how rankings were calculated MintGarden API integration for full “completed offers” data Add sales offer date to find most recent listings Direct offer file integration Add multiselect search instead of free search box (useful to know what to search for) Remember last search state upon refresh (and add reset & reload button) Add trait ranking percentages. Click traits to filter. Add more NFT metadata in expanded view (NFT ID) Add sales from buy offers
- Add collection and creator metadata (collection id, DID, creator socials)
- Add sharable links for a search query
- Display a rarity score instead of just ranking
- Multiple rarity score options (statistical rarity, trait rarity, rarity score etc.)
- Historic price data and charts
- Allow setting “favorites” to remember your NFTs
- Project health metrics (activity, velocity, volume etc.)
- Goby integration
- Allow verified NFT owners to name their own NFT (only visible on FarmersMarket)